Monday, June 1, 2009

Mentorship

Mentorship is a concept that I believe may be falling by the wayside in the Army; at least that is my experience and many of my peers who share the same view. I do realize that this may not be the case for everyone.

For the majority of my military career, I have stumbled my way through life as a Soldier without really having a true mentor. For my 6 1/2 years as an enlisted Soldier, I had what I thought to be mentors who did provide me some advice here and there. Most times, it was helpful information that I used where it applied at the time. To a degree, that advice helped me to become what I considered to be successful.

After becoming a commissioned officer, I never found or had a true mentor. I originally branched as an AG officer. I worked with great officers in each of my units who did give me some guidance and helpful hints/tips along the way. But I never had that unbiased person outside my organization to provide me with the suggested fundamental guide path to become a successful AG officer in the Army.

Now that I have changed my branch and have become a Psychological Operations Officer (37A). I have found a great mentor. My mentor is my former battalion commander. He has helped me to realize what is takes to be successful as a PSYOP officer. He knows what it takes and he shares the recipe with me. I am now gaining a clear focus and understanding of what I need to do in my career. But it took an 18 year in the Army to find a good mentor.

Now that I have reached the level of a field grade officer, I understand the true value of mentor ship. Any opportunity that presents itself to me, I will be sure to provide that mentorship to any junior officer seeking the same guidance that I sought as a junior officer.


Major Larry Wayne Smalls
Student,
CGSC, ILE
Ft. Belvoir, VA

The views expressed in this blog are those of the author and do not reflect the official policy or position of the Department of the Army, Department of Defense, or the U.S. Government.

No comments: