Sunday, May 31, 2009

Army Song Alive and Well at Walter Reed

Ray,

I read your post with interest, since I have been the Master of Ceremonies at a an average of four ceremonies each quarter at Walter Reed Army Medical Center for the last 22 months and attended an average of four more each quarter. Each of these ceremonies ended with a very enthusiastic singing of The Army Song by all (or almost all) in attendance. As the MC, it was been very heartening to see the degree of participation, and a relief at the end of the ceremony to expand the pent-up energy by singing myself. I was really quite pleased to see this tradition when I first arrived. I had first experienced the mass singing of The Army Song while stationed at Fort Drum, NY, from 2003 to 2005. All ceremonies conducted by the 10th Mountain Division (LI) ended with the singing of the Division Song and The Army Song. I did not know the Division Song (I was assigned to the Medical Department Activity) very well and so could not sing it very well. I did notice that the volume did pick up when the ceremony moved to The Army Song, since most people in attendance knew it.

At Walter Reed, we included the lyrics in the program for each ceremony that had a program (most did), so more people could participate by reading along.

I agree with your contention that all Soldiers and Army civil servants should learn The Army Song and participate in its public singing whenever possible. I would not want the Army to change to another Song, since we would simply be returning to a condition in which few people would know the Song and therefore could not sing along. Isn't The Army Song itself less than 20 years old? I don't remember being exposed to it at all when I was enlisted during the 1980s and early 90s. If we are still in the first generation of its existence, perhaps we just need more time to pass.

Again, thanks for starting this discussion.

Major Michael D. Dake
Student, Command and General Staff College, ILE
Ft. Belvoir, VA

The views expressed in this blog are those of the author and do not reflect the official policy or position of the Department of the Army, Department of Defense, or the U.S. Government.

No comments: