Monday, May 24, 2010

LTC Peter G. Deveaux
Student, Command and General Staff School
U.S. Army Combined Arms Center
Fort Belvoir, Virginia

The Reasons I Serve My Country

On September 10, 2001, I took my Board Certification Exam in General Surgery in Baltimore, Md. On next morning, I flew from Dulles International Airport on my way back to my young family at Fort Wainwright, Alaska, where I served as the Chief of General Surgery. I was a young Major in the United States Army, proud father of one young son, relieved to have successfully passed the final hurdle on my journey towards becoming a practicing general surgeon. My goals at that time were to finish up my last eighteen months of active duty service, fulfill my scholarship obligations, and start a lucrative private practice. My plans included buying a large home, having more children, and purchasing a brand new truck. I recall being filled with optimism about my bright future.
By the time I landed in Chicago three hours later, the world had changed. Planes which had taken off from Dulles, at the same time as mine, filled with other optimistic young professionals, families and innocent civilians had crashed into the World Trade Center Towers. Hundreds were known to be dead. By
the end of the day, over three thousand innocent civilians had been murdered in the greatest act of terrorism to date. As I watched the smoking ruins of the towers on television, I knew that our country would soon be at war. I resolved that as a soldier I would stay in the Army and serve my country to avenge those who had died, to serve as a source of strength for my family and other Americans as part of the greatest military power the world had ever seen, and to be part of a force that would act to prevent such an atrocity from ever happening again.
As a surgeon, I knew that it was unlikely that I personally would be required to shoot a weapon at the enemy. I also knew that my specialty, trauma surgery, would place me in harms’ way as I supported thoseelements of the armed forces close to the front. We are taught in medical school to do no harm. Indeed, ifan injured enemy combatant was brought to my forward surgical team, my obligation as a physician and human was to show compassion and treat injuries, regardless of political persuasion, religious bent or political ideology. The Oath of Hippocrates says nothing, however, about supporting our troops with the finest surgical capability so they can feel confident about conducting their mission: to close with and destroy the enemy by violent means. With every enemy combatant brought to our unit dead or alive but definitely out of the fight, I felt that I was contributing, in some small but meaningful way to avenging those whose life had been ended by these terrorists.
America had been brought to its’ knees on September 11, 2001. Our national confidence had been diminished. As a society, the premise that the United States was powerful, even invincible, was shaken. On a national level we looked for strong leaders to guide us through this period. We looked towards institutions of strength, the military especially, for a response to this act of aggression. My wife and young son, and especially my aging parents, looked at me as a source of strength in the immediate days following the attacks. While there were those who said America should become more isolationist, and others who suggested retreating from world-wide obligations, I knew that the United States would answer these attacks with a military response. A nation relies upon those strong, brave and able to shoulder any burden placed upon it by aggressors. Our society would call upon its’ sons and daughters in uniform and place them in harms’ way. As a soldier, to shirk that solemn responsibility would be disgraceful and un-American.
Simply killing the enemy and destroying their training camps in the wastelands of Afghanistan would not provide the measure of closure necessary to regaining American strength. The enemies of America,and indeed the entire world, needed to know that a new era had arrived, one in which America and her allies would join together to eradicate the roots of terror and fight terrorists and those who supported them wherever they existed. As I held my young son shortly after returning home, I realized that he had been born into a world where freedom and liberty had a new meaning. I realized how the fight against terror, tyranny and intolerance would not be won in my lifetime or his. I realized that freedom and peace require constant defense against those who would use terror and aggression as a means of enforcing their will upon others. My priorities no longer included the pursuit of wealth and comfort. Looking into his newborn eyes I realized that my life now had a new purpose. As a surgeon in the United States Army,my new calling would be to provide for a more secure future for my family and for my country by providing medical care to soldiers dedicated to the War on Terror.
Nearly a decade has passed since I boarded a plane on a beautiful Fall morning and headed towards thestart of a comfortable life. Four deployments later in support of the Global War on Terror, I am proud to have played a role in securing our nation’s liberty. I have seen the personal sacrifices made by countless men and women, including many of those who have made the ultimate sacrifice. When I see their names etched on tombstones and in the obituaries, I count the blessings this Nation and military have provided me, and remember the reasons that I serve.


"The views expressed in this blog are those of the author and do not reflect the official policy or position of the Department of the Army, Department of Defense, or the U.S. Government"

No comments: