Thursday, May 13, 2010

The Reason I Serve

MAJ Kerryn Story
Student, Command and General Staff School
U.S. Army Combined Arms Center
Fort Belvoir, VA
13 May 2010
The Reason I Serve My Country

People join the military for various reasons. For many, it’s a means of escape, or a way to finally break away and have some independence. For some, it’s a way to make ends meet, a monthly paycheck. Some join for the educational benefits, and every now and then you hear a good news media story about someone who joined the military out of pure patriotism. I have been asked on numerous occasions, as most career military professionals are at some point in their careers, why I joined and continue to serve my country. After all, my career options were endless upon graduation from college. Yet, I chose this path. I echo the same answer each time I am asked. While I joined the military initially for the educational benefits, I serve today and will continue to serve because I enjoy taking care of Soldiers.

I am currently assigned within the Army Medical Department (AMEDD) where our daily mission and duty is helping Soldiers heal and return to duty, whether they are suffering from injuries sustained on the battlefield, or seeking routine care. I am a registered dietitian, and while I do not directly treat battlefield injuries as a physician would, I do take care of Soldiers by helping them heal nutritionally. My job involves management, clinical dietetics, research, and nutrition education. I am an integral part of the process which helps keep Soldiers and their family members healthy.

I would like to elaborate on what I mean by healing nutritionally with the following example. With the operational tempo of today’s Army, many Soldiers are facing their fourth or fifth deployment, while some have even more than that. Once Soldiers get into theater, many will improve their fitness levels immensely because they have much more time to work out, while some will lose fitness because their jobs take precedence over physical training. Additionally, some will watch their diets more closely, eating healthier foods, while others will overindulge simply because the food is available.
I will address the later in reference to helping Soldiers heal nutritionally. Those Soldiers who are unable to maintain their fitness levels or develop poor dietary habits in theater often gain excessive weight while deployed. Upon return from theater, they must go through rigorous efforts to lose weight, regain fitness, and comply with height and weight standards in accordance with Army Regulation 600-9. I have been fortunate in my military career as a health care professional to help numerous Soldiers in such circumstances through application of appropriate medical nutrition therapy and monitoring. Most of these Soldiers have been able to successfully recondition, return to higher levels of fitness, and vastly improve their eating habits.

Helping Soldiers heal nutritionally is not something which is only done when Soldiers return from theater with nutritional issues or medical complications. It is something that is practiced as a means of preventive medicine as well. Nutrition clinics throughout the Army have a host of nutrition education programs in which Soldiers can participate as needed. These range from teaching about on-going disease processes, to teaching specific medical nutrition therapy management of new onset diseases, other complications, or a host of diets. All of these educational opportunities involve taking care of Soldiers first and foremost, which is what I enjoy most about my job.

Even though my job specialty does not involve direct patient care, my profession is an integral part of the Soldiers’ healing process. I thoroughly enjoy being a part of this process, hence the reason I serve and will continue to serve in the military, particularly the Army Medical Department. I am proud to be a part of the team providing leading edge healthcare to our Warriors and family members. So, even though I commissioned into the Army initially for the educational benefits it could provide for me, I do not regret the decision to stay in the force and continue to serve. If I had been asked a few years back whether or not I wanted to make the Army a career, I would have said, “no.” However, after having served for almost 13 years, I cannot think of another profession which I would enjoy more than this one. The rewards for me in helping Soldiers are numerous. Proud to serve!
The views expressed in this blog are those of the author and do not reflect the official policy or position of the Department of the Army, Department of Defense, or the U.S. Government.

No comments: