Monday, January 10, 2011

Why I Serve

CH (MAJ) William L. Keller II
Student , Command and General Staff School
U.S. Army Combined Arms Center
Fort Belvoir, VA
“The views expressed in this BLOG are those of the author and do not reflect the official policy or position of the Dept. of the Army, Dept. of Defense, or the U.S. Government”
My parents asked me why I wanted to serve my country. The reasons did not seem obvious to them. They thought I had many opportunities to work in circumstances that would be productive and intellectually challenging. I could work in places where the pay would be adequate. My duties would not require the constant sacrifices that would come with serving my country. As I thought about their question, I explained that I wanted to serve my country to protect freedom.
I wanted to serve my country to protect freedom as an example to the rest of the world. I wanted the world to see the United States as an example of a truly great nation. A great nation demonstrates that people can speak freely. A place exists that allows people to have freedom of religion. It emphasizes to its citizens the importance of an individual’s pursuit of happiness. The United States could show the world how it citizens could participate in a vibrant democracy will pursuing their own goals. Other countries in our world would see a witness that promoted opportunity for everyone to develop their potential.
I also desired to serve my country to protect freedom for my family. In order for my son to have opportunities to live his life to its potential, freedom must be defended. I recognize that there are people who want to curtail our freedom. If freedom’s enemies are not opposed, then freedom may be slowly eroded or the nature of our freedom changed. By protecting the nature of my freedom as defined by the Constitution, I help to pass this inheritance to my son.
Not only did I want to protect freedom as a witness to the world and for my family, but serving my country allows me to live a life of service to others by protecting freedom. In giving to others, I think I am able to develop to my greatest capacity. Part of giving to others is understanding suffering in the world. I have always thought that it is important to identify pain and suffering and to do what is possible to relieve it. As I serve my country, I am able to use my efforts to improve conditions for others. While I do my duty during deployments, there are many opportunities to help others who are suffering.

Many years ago during a visit to Kosovo, I was able to participate in a project to bring supplies to school children. The school was in disrepair with little paint and holes in the walls. The children were poor and lacking adequate clothes for the winter. There were few materials available. Yet, the children appeared to have a spirit of hope because of the help the United States brought to them. As we passed out the clothes and school supplies there were smiles and a sense of relief on their faces.
When I saw their smiles, I could see how a new pair of shoes could ease their suffering. I witnessed how a coat to protect them against the winter cold could help them to see a far away nation as a friend. Abstract concepts like freedom became real when their feet no longer hurt and the wind’s assaults were softened by a thick coat. Most importantly it demonstrated to me that as I served my country that I could serve others such as these young students and be an instrument to reduce suffering.
Another reason for my service to my country was to protect the freedom of religion. Freedom of religion seems to be a rare thing in our world. Many nations wish to control what people believe for the sake of power or unity. So, this freedom is precious to me. The desire to worship according to their conscience was one of the motivations for the first settlers to endure the hardships of settling in America. As a chaplain, I wanted to ensure that everyone in our country continues to have the freedom to worship as they desire. I also want to make sure that Soldiers and family members have the opportunity to worship and grow in their faith. I wanted to participate in helping them gain hope from their faith to overcome enormous obstacles and to find comfort during times of suffering.
As I explained to my parents before leaving, I am humbled by the inheritance that has been passed on to me. One of the precious treasures of this inheritance is freedom. It is a freedom that is a witness to others, for my family, allows me to follow the religion of my choice, and to serve others. It is the defense of this freedom against its enemies that compels me to serve my country. I want to serve my country to protect freedom as treasure to be passed on to other generations and other parts of the world.

No comments: