Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Why I Serve

My reasons for serving in the Army are numerous and continue to mature and evolve. These reasons include adventure, financial benefit, operational environment, professionalism, and a resolve to pursue excellence in service. These reasons can best be described over a process that encompasses the last 13 years. This process is fluid, and newfound joys of service accumulate rather than replace old ones. Because of this, I believe that providing a narrative will best illustrate my reasons for service.
Growing up in a university town along the central coast of California, military service was not highly espoused and not commonly pursued by my peers. This, combined with my nature to question what I viewed as “blind” authority lead me to summarily dismiss any and all military recruitment offers to include ROTC college scholarship applications. During high school and college, I was one of the least likely individuals to serve my country in the military, much less what I viewed as the “redneck ground-pounders” of the Army. Nevertheless, I always admired those who undertook adventure, and enjoyed fitness and adventure sports in my free time.
When considering graduate schools for physical therapy, I was intrigued by the Army’s program through Baylor University. I decided to apply but considered actually joining the Army to attend as a last resort if I didn’t get accepted into other schools higher on my preference list. Within four months of applying and receiving many acceptance letters from civilian schools, my mind had changed. I was drawn to the Army’s program by the cost of tuition (free along with salary as a 2LT), small student-to-faculty ratio, high national ranking, and the relative brevity of the program versus other programs I considered. I viewed my obligation to the Army after school as an inconvenience I was willing to endure for the financial and educational benefits. Nevertheless, my new wife and I were ready for an adventure, and so my adventure began. Make no mistake; my initial reasons for serving in the Army were practical and self-serving rather than ideological and altruistic. I’d be dishonest if I did not admit that the Army still provides financial security for my family, and this in some part keeps me on Active Duty. However, as my service continued, other less-superficial reasons were added.
During my initial obligation following school, I learned that working as a physical therapist in the military afforded me a practice environment that civilian practice did not. In the Army, I enjoyed more autonomy, expanded clinical privileges, and earlier opportunity for leadership compared to my civilian counterparts. Additionally, I did not have to worry about asking for referrals from other providers for my livelihood; most healthcare providers recognized us as subject matter experts and readily referred their patients. After my initial obligation following school, I decided to stay in the Army primarily because the practice environment in physical therapy was conducive to my desires. To this day as a physical therapist, an ideal practice environment remains a motive for me to remain in the Army that cannot be discounted.
Although the pragmatic reasons listed above still hold true, ideological reasons now account for why I am more committed to the service of my country now than ever before. While deployed in 2006 with the 10th Combat Support Hospital in Baghdad, I was impressed by the sacrifice, camaraderie, and professionalism of our soldiers. I witnessed Emergency Room staff handle mass casualty situations swiftly and adeptly, sleep-deprived surgeons operate tirelessly to save whomever they could, and MEDEVAC pilots and crewmembers drenched with sweat in 120 degree heat, yet unwilling to rest because their mission didn’t allow it. Most of all, I saw hundreds of wounded soldiers come through the Emergency Room, and they were never alone for long. Their comrades and leaders stayed with them, donated blood, wept for their losses, and eventually left to continue their dangerous mission. I knew then that I was an important part of a team. Although I wasn’t patrolling the streets with the infantry, my mission was to keep these warriors healthy, their units intact, and to help the Army project the strongest force possible.
Once I truly comprehended my role within the Army, I sought to serve within Army Special Operations in order to help those who place themselves at greatest risk while fighting “at the tip of the spear”. These soldiers epitomize the professionalism, competence, commitment to excellence, and love for adventure that I admire. I will gladly expend myself on their behalf and support our country’s mission they fearlessly execute. Despite the fact that pragmatic reasons initially drew me into the Army, the sense of service and realization that I am part of a team that is larger than myself now provide the most important and underlying basis for my service.

MAJ David Robbins
Student, Command and General Staff School
U.S. Army Combined Arms Center
Fort Belvoir, VA

"The views expressed in this BLOG are those of the author and do not reflect the official policy or position of the Department of the Army, Department of Defense, or the U.S. Government."

No comments: