Monday, January 31, 2011

Why I Serve

“I always knew that I was going to be a Soldier” was never a thought that ran through my mind growing up. I did not come from a military family, I did not live near a military community, nor did I know anyone who was a service member. It was something I never gave much thought about. Little did I know that registering for a military science elective in college to get an easy A would eventually make me a career officer. The more I learned about the military and got to know the officers and non-commissioned officers, I wanted to be a part of such an organization. I serve by choice because I love what I do, those that I serve with, and the country that I serve.


When I received my ROTC commission as a U.S. Army second lieutenant, I knew that I had made the right decision as an initial career choice. It was easy because it just felt right in my heart and in my mind. My decision to serve was influenced by my upbringing, parents’ expectations, and my own desire to do something challenging with my life while I was still young and able. From childhood, my parents had instilled in me that the purpose of education and knowledge was to make the world a better place. If I had chosen to just immerse myself into the private work force after getting our degree without giving something to society first, my parents would have been disappointed. All through my childhood, I can remember volunteering at the local nursing home during the summers, helping out the older neighbors, and regularly attending community events. My parents were active participants in our community and most of their friends were the same. Community life and public service were important to them, so it became important to me. I saw them help those who were not able to help themselves and not expect anything in return. Nothing would have made them prouder than for me to dedicate a couple of years in public service as a necessary path, at least at the start of my career, to build character and gain a better understanding of our communities and the people in them, whether that be in non-profit, government, or the military.

My decision to serve was my way of showing my parents that I appreciated what I had learned from them. I wanted to make them proud and at the same time do something for my country. It was a natural and logical decision for me. For this reason, it was not difficult for me to choose this career path nor was it a surprise for anyone in my family to learn that I wanted to be a military officer. I was serving my country and at the same time I was gaining invaluable work experience and a unique global perspective.
MAJ P. Beausoleil
Student, Command and General Staff School
US Army Combined Arms Center
Fort Belvoir, VA
“The views expressed in this BLOG are those of the author and do not reflect the official policy or position of the Dept. of the Army, Dept. of Defense, or the US Government.”

No comments: