Sunday, January 30, 2011

Why I Serve


CPT Ranjini Danaraj
Student, CGSC
Fort Belvoir, VA

"The views expressed in this BLOG are those of the author and do not reflect the official policy or position of the Department of the Army, the Department of Defense, or the US Government."

To serve your country in the military sounds like a completely altruistic endeavor.  Many Americans associate this with the threat of death or serious injury, extended periods of time away from loved ones, long hours, and working conditions that aren’t always ideal.  While service members do contend with these facets, what is often understated are the numerous advantages provided to service members through their commitment to the country.  My nine years of service can be characterized by these advantages and are at the heart of why I serve.  I choose to serve my country because I’m committed to our national ideals, the Army provides endless opportunities, and the challenging environment is refreshing.

The United States of America is a fantastic country.  It is a country where anyone can make something out of nothing, where innovation continues to flourish, where people can boisterously voice their opinions, where essential services are accessible, and where people feel safe.  These are not hallmarks of every country in the world, but hallmarks provided through the blood, sweat, and tears of service members throughout our nation’s history.  It is an overused adage, but a relevant one, “freedom isn’t free.”  I subscribe to it.  I recognize that the privileges afforded by the constitution and opportunities I have in my life would not be possible without the sacrifices of those in uniform and I am absolutely willing to contribute to this collective effort.  I am truly proud to wear the uniform and serve in a values based organization whose achievement is far more valuable than the corporate bottom line.  While I am fulfilling my patriotic obligation, this rationale can much better be characterized as a commitment to the principles on which the nation was founded and continues to thrive. 

Malcom Gladwell describes successful people as being products of “cumulative advantage”—people that are provided the right opportunities at the right time, cumulatively learn more, grow more, and exploit more of what this life has to offer.  In nine years of service, the Army’s provided me with numerous opportunities.  I received my Bachelor’s degree from the University of Southern California, a university I could not financially afford if not for my ROTC scholarship.  I received a master’s degree from Webster’s University while attending the Captain’s Career Course, in a program that was funded by the Army and enabled me to continue on my professional timeline.  Growing up, Georgetown University was my dream school and one that 13 years ago said “thanks, but no thanks.”  In May 2011, I will begin a master’s program there courtesy of the US Army, who is not only funding it, but provided me with a much more diverse and well-rounded portfolio to qualify me for this opportunity.  The Army’s opportunities extend beyond the educational.  In nine years of service, I lived and deployed to very diverse areas: Korea, Tennessee, Iraq, Afghanistan, Missouri, Washington, and Washington, DC.  While they may not have all been destinations of my choice, they were definitely environments that exposed me to a life I did not know, gave me a better appreciation for the cultural differences, and provided me a better grasp of the challenges we face globally.

Travel opportunities are a well-known quality of the military, financial independence is not.  As a captain in the US Army, there is nothing that I want for that I can’t financially obtain; I am debt free, I have retirement savings, and I live comfortably.  There are not many people my age that can say the same.  Having the financial independence to support myself and live life on terms that aren’t dictated by financial constraint is nothing short of liberating.  Education, travel, and financial independence are opportunities all provided by the Army and serve as positive reinforcement for my service to the country.  

Many people equate job satisfaction to challenge, growth, and results.  There isn’t a day that goes by in the Army where I don’t feel challenged.  The Army has a tendency to put people in situations and jobs where they don’t have all of the answers, just some of them, where they don’t have the right skill set, but a diverse skill set, and then they learn as they go.  We are an Army of problem-solvers that embrace the challenge of consistently analyzing what the issue is, what resources are at our disposal, and what the best course of action is to achieve an advantageous solution.  This problem solving doesn’t just involve tactical missions or equipment readiness, but human dynamics.  Understanding what is necessary for Soldier wellness, what inspires Soldiers to accomplish the mission, and what is required to change or improve a group dynamic is all part of this challenge.  Some people might find this incredibly frustrating—not knowing the answer or having to work too hard to find the answer, but I find it rewarding.  To overcome a challenge you harness strengths and abilities you didn’t know you had, you grow professionally and personally, and you see the results of your labor.  The byproducts of challenge make every day in the Army meaningful and refreshing.

There are many different service professions in our nation: firefighters, policemen, doctors, and teachers, to name a few.  But what distinguishes military service from these professions is the reluctance of so many to participate because the benefits aren’t widely known.  A service member’s sacrifice is implied; the advantages they are afforded are often unknown.    A commitment to national ideals, opportunity, and challenge are my rationale for service to the country.  There are many more rationales within the ranks, some selfless and some selfish, but all form a better perspective on how military service can enrich your life.  No school, social construct, or belief should prevent this information campaign from reaching the hearts and minds of the next generation of volunteers.  To limit their exposure to this dialogue, may limit one of their best opportunities for a rewarding life experience. 
 
               

No comments: