Thursday, September 2, 2010

Chaplain (Major) Daniel Finkhousen
Student, Command and General Staff School
U.S. Army Combined Arms Center
Fort Belvoir, Virginia

“The views expressed in this blog are those of the author and do not reflect the official policy or position of the Department of the Army, Department of Defense, or the U. S. Government”

Why do I serve my country?
A Question of Conscience
The events that transpired in Somalia during the battle of Mogadishu as demonstrated in the movie “Blackhawk Down” were heart rending and difficult to watch. I cannot pretend to understand the emotions experienced by those actually there, but I am proud of them and the courage they displayed. To me a key element of interest was the conversation in the mess hall prior to the special operations sergeant returning to the engagement. He addressed the question “Why do we do it”. His answer, we do it for the guy standing next to us. I find that line at the center of my thought for why I continue to serve in the military.
Many of my colleagues can quote a long history of their filial relationship to the United States Military. I have friends in the service who can trace their heritage back to relatives that actively served in the military during WWI or WWII. I do not have that heritage. What I do have is a heart for our country and the willingness to serve those willing to sacrifice their time, energy and even life in order to carry out the orders given by their chain of command.
I am proud to be an American and delighted to be an American soldier. It is a wonderful privilege to see young men and women enter the military, many without a clear sense of purpose or direction for their future, and see their lives take shape through the influence and molding of the professional soldiers given the responsibility of training them. I know they are gaining experience and developing relationships that they will cherish for the rest of their lives.
It is my desire to make our country a better and safer place. The military gives me the opportunity to do both. My task gives me a sense of even greater opportunity for I get the privilege of serving those who serve our country. As a chaplain I get to bring God to soldiers and soldiers to God. I have the joy of a dual responsibility. My appointment by the government to take care of the warrior blends well with my appointment by God to do the same. In accordance with my conscience, that internal burning desire or drive, I could not realize more joy than getting to live and experience a life serving the warriors and the families of the United States military.
A Question of Calling
What does it mean to be called? The Old Testament book Samuel records an incident that expresses well what it means to be called. Samuel went to sleep one night and during the night he heard a voice saying to him, “Samuel, Samuel”. Samuel thought it was Eli, the high priest sleeping in the next room, calling him. Samuel got out of bed, went to Eli and asked what he wanted. After the third time the event transpired Eli sensed that it was the Lord calling Samuel and told him the next time he heard the voice to answer, “Speak Lord for your servant listens” (1 Samuel 3:10).
Samuel’s calling involved three key elements. The first element was a need for a prophetic voice.
The second element was an ear that would listen. The third element was a voice willing to speak.
Israel needed a prophetic voice. Israel needed correction and instruction which should come as no surprise for each of us individually and collectively need the same. As a previous aviator, I discovered that I couldn’t put in a single input and expect the helicopter to get where I wanted to go. It takes constant correction and guidance from the pilot for an aircraft to get to its final destination. Life is not so different from flying. An uncorrected flight path is called a crash. So too, an uncorrected life is also called a crash.
In order for Israel to receive correction it was vital that God could get an ear that would listen. There is a vast difference between hearing and listening. Many arguments are avoided in family life through the speaker - listener techniques taught in Strong Bonds marriage retreats conducted by the chaplaincy. What is said does not always equate with what is meant. Getting to the meaning is the vital difference between hearing and listening.
Finally, it takes more than a need for correction and an ear to listen. It takes a voice willing to speak. I was told about an auto accident that could have been avoided if a word of caution would have been spoken rather than a grunt given. The soldier didn’t notice a driver coming from his right but the passenger did. A corrective response would have been, “three o’clock, car, stop.” That would have been the simple to the point exchange of information necessary. The blood curdling scream did little but raise blood pressure and cause the driver to be tensed for the impact.
It is a wonderful joy to serve the military as a part of the team that shapes and molds the fine young men and women of our nation. The warriors represent, in my opinion, the finest people on the globe. Do they need correction, guidance and direction? Of course, we all do. I could not create a better scenario to fulfill my conviction and answer my call.

If you’d like more information on serving in the military as an Army chaplain please visit the Army Chaplaincy site at: http://www.chapnet.army.mil/.

No comments: