Thursday, September 2, 2010

What being a member of the profession of arms means to me

Major Tage Rainsford
Student, Command and General Staff School
U.S. Army Combined Arms Center
Fort Belvoir, Virginia

"The views expressed in this blog are those of the author and do not reflect the official policy or position of the Department of the Army, Department of Defense, or the U.S. Government."

Webster’s dictionary defines the word profession as “a principal calling, vocation, or employment requiring specialized knowledge and often long and intensive academic preparation.” (Profession, 2010) While not often looked on in such light by the public, the military should be categorized as a profession.
A person cannot walk down to their local military installation and apply for a job; there are barriers to entry. An individual must first visit his or her recruiter and ensure that they meet the physical and mental conditions of entry. They must then participate in a rigorous training regimen that involves both physical and intellectual study and development. Only after successful completion of this training, does a person earn the right to call themselves a member of the uniformed services -- the profession of arms.
This author entered the profession of arms over fourteen years ago as an officer in the United States Army and while I completed the steps and conditions mentioned above in order to gain entry to the profession of arms, being a member of said profession means more to me than just having met the barriers to entry. Membership in this prestigious profession allows me to be part of something larger then myself, a legacy organization with a sense of pride that is unrivaled and leaves me with a feeling of accomplishment and of giving back.
Aristotle said, “The whole is more than the sum of its parts.” (Quotations by Aristotle, 2006) This summarizes how I feel being a member of the profession of arms, part of something larger than myself that cumulatively, is greater than any grouping that its individuals could be. A great illustration of this would be the operations that have occurred in Iraq over the past seven years.
In 2006 and 2007, I was deployed to Iraq as a member of the 25th Infantry Division responsible for operations in Northern Iraq. Although I was but one individual in an organization that was over 25,000 people strong, none of us could have accomplished our personal missions without the efforts of each and every one of the other members of the team. From cooks to mechanics, aviators to infantrymen and privates to generals, not one individual could have accomplished their mission by themselves. Put into action, the professional military achieved something that had been missing from that area for some time, peace and stability. I would argue that no other organization in the world could have come together as a profession and accomplish what the U.S. military did. Integral to this synergy though, is the legacy from which the military draws its strength.
For over 235 continuous years, the military and U.S. Army in particular, has been a professional organization, charged with serving the nation. This history, heritage and resulting esprit de corps grows like a snowball and contributes to the greatness of the profession of arms. Not only does my membership allow me to feel as if I am part of something bigger as described before, but I now feel part of a living organization. I am not surviving off the glory of the past or merely passing time in the present; I am contributing to the future and helping to make the profession grow stronger by adding to the snowball effect.
Finally, being a member of this great profession provides me with a personal feeling and sense of accomplishment, service and gratitude. In looking back on my career thus far, I have had the opportunity to serve with an untold number of professionals, dedicated to the service of their country. I am often overcome by feelings of pride and joy when I think of my contributions to and membership in the profession. Duty, honor and country may ring through as a cliché to those who have never served, but their meaning is undeniable to those of us privileged enough to be a part of this profession.
While on the surface, the barriers to entry alone would classify the military as a profession; it is more than that to this author. The sense of pride that I feel from being part of something bigger than I am, with hundreds of years of history to build on, the opportunity to add to that legacy, all combined by the sense of accomplishment that I feel day in and day out. Those things make me proud to be part of the profession of arms.
Some may argue that in this day and age of turmoil, multiple wars and a never-ending operational tempo, the military should be thankful for my service and continuance to fill the ranks even though it is no longer required of me. I would argue that the honor is mine, and I awake thankful every morning for the opportunity to serve this great profession for yet one more day.

Works Cited

Profession. (2010). Retrieved September 2, 2010, from Merriam-Webster.com: http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/profession

Quotations by Aristotle. (2006, February). Retrieved September 2, 2010, from The MacTutor History of Mathematics Web site: http://www-history.mcs.st-and.ac.uk/Quotations/Aristotle.html

No comments: