Monday, September 20, 2010

Why I Serve

I serve my country, because it provides a sense of purpose to my life. At some point in our lives, we all find ourself searching for the meaning of life. We sit outside and stare up at the stars; contemplate the vastness of the universe ( and our relative insignificance), and ask ourselves the age old question, “Why am I here?” For some people this has a religious or spirtual answer, but for me I have created the answer through service to my country. I remember when I first figured this out. It was during the summer between my junior and senior years of high school, and my mother and I were taking a tour of universities to get a better feel of where I should apply to attend college. In a flurried week-long trip, we visited Harvard, Yale, MIT, and a couple of other schools that I have now completely forgotten. I enjoyed the tours and the talks with current students at each of these places, but it wasn’t until we visited the United States Military Academy at West Point, that I found what I was looking for. From the moment we drove through the gates, I had decided that I wanted to attend college at West Point. From that point forward, contrary to what I told my mom, I never even applied to another school. I felt a connection and a path leading to the sense of purpose that I had been looking for at West Point. Through my service to our country, I feel part of something greater than myself.
While attending West Point, I was introducted to and I am constanstly reminded of another resason that I serve my country; the absolutely amazing people who are doing the same thing. I enjoy working with people who are committed to the same ideals as I am. Sometimes in the shuffle of countless emails and lengthy meetings, I lose sight of the truly amazing people that I am surrounded by; but some event always draws me back in. The most recent incident occurred at the retirement of a good friend of mine. He gave a deep and thoughtful farewell speech, issuing a wide swath of thank yous, scattered with a few statements that really hit home and allowed me to re-remember that it is the people that make the units we all serve in great. He told stories about fellow soldiers who had moved heaven and earth to help him in his times of greatest need, and relayed how everytime he was amazed at what other soldiers were willing to do to help a fellow soldier. I always say that the greatest thing about the military is that you will pick up the radio in the middle of some cold and rainy night; call up someone you have never met before and ask them to come out of their warm and dry tent and help you do something difficult and probably dangerous… and expect them to actually show up to help you, since 99 times out of 100, they will. Being able to work alongside of some of the most amazing people this country has to offer is another reason why I serve my country.
As I have gotten older and have had children of my own, another reason for my service to my country has come into being; the desire to set an example for my children. Unfortunately, I think that the modern world is full of examples of how to live your life for yourself, but very few role models of selfless service, what it means to serve others, and be part of something greater than yourself. There are countless professional athletes, musicisans, movie stars and other entertainers who offer a “good” role model of how to serve yourself, but there are few role models out there that get any press coverage who are selflessly serving others. It probably is a sign of the times, that the fact Lindsay Loughan is out of rehab appears to be of greater concern to most Americans than what is occuring in Iraq. I want my daughters to understand that there is more to life than self promotion and the pursuit of wealth for wealth’s sake; and the best way that I think I can teach them this is by showing them through my self less serve.
My service to our country has provided me the opportunity to repay our country for the opportunities it has provided to me and my family. My grandparents emigrated to this country when they were small children. This country presented them so many opportunities which they were able to take advantage of to create a better life for their children. My parents passed this down to me and allowed me the advantages that I have and can pass down to my children. I truly believe and try to live by the quote “For to whomsoever much is given, of him shall be much required” (King James Bible - Luke 12). Through my service to our country I feel that I am able to do this.
I choose to write about this topic since I thought it would be very easy to do. Unfortunately as I got into it, I realized how sometimes it can be very difficult to put into words that which we defines us. Saying that I served my country since it provided me with a sense of purpose was an easy answer, but even though the other three stem from this root purpose, it was a little harder to articulate those. Working with amazing people who are focusing on serving their country, providing a role model for my children, and paying back this country for the opportunities that I have been provided are all reasons why I serve my country.

Major Todd Vydareny
Student, Command and General Staff School
US Army Combined Arms Center
Fort Belvoir, VA

The views expressed in this blog are those of tthe author and do not reflect the official policy or position of the Department of the Army, Department of Defense, or the US Government.

No comments: