Thursday, September 2, 2010

What the Professional Military Ethic means to me

Major Charles Hartley
Student, Command and General Staff School
U.S. Army Combined Arms Center
Fort Belvoir, Virginia

Three words synonymous with serving in the military are Duty, Honor and Country. What does it mean to have honor? What does it take to be honorable? Soldiers know right from wrong, it is one of the many common bonds that exist between those of us in uniform. Ethics have been commonplace in the American military since its inception. Rules must be applied to derive a professional force whether in combat or garrison, if these rules are broken those in violation need to be held accountable for their actions. The globe looks to the United States Military for guidance in many ways; our ethical standards should set the bar for other countries to attain as well. The foundation of ethics from the American military institution is a model for all and has matured me to adulthood and provided me the cornerstone of morality that I use in and out of uniform.
It’s no secret that civilian employers seek former service members for employment due to their resiliency and strong work ethic. General’s Washington, Grant and Eisenhower are probably the best examples of Soldiers that transitioned to very successful careers out of uniform. Many government and non-government organizations host job fairs that cater exclusively to Service Members ready for the work force. Eager employers seek not only the leadership, knowledge and skill set of the US Service Member but also the moral tenacity. 18 years ago I transitioned to a civilian career after coming off of active duty. Like most of my co-workers I was recruited because of my military service. My employer demanded a strong work ethic and prospered with the team that he had built. In addition to my civilian job it seemed right for me to continue my military service and join the National Guard. The moral foundation that I received in basic training is the premise for my continued education and success in my civilian career and strong work ethic.
What would Ethics be if they did not lie within the institution? Many military institutions and sub-institutions have a “code”, standard ideals of how to live, work and perform. As a prior enlisted Soldier and now officer I have seen both perspectives of how the Army teaches and conducts ethics. The Soldier’s/NCO’s creed and Warrior Ethos are the standards that Soldier’s live by today. These ethics instill the willingness to accept the challenge and the desire to accomplish the mission despite all adversity; this is what makes our military mighty and great. The National Guard mirrors the policies and procedures set forth by Big Army and also conducts ethics training on an annual basis to remind and ensure that its Soldiers are held to a higher standard. Ethics to me is a promise, a promise to do the right thing, a promise that is based on trust. I trust that the institution will take care of my family when I am not there. I trust that the institution will provide for the ones that I love until I return. I trust the institution will provide for the ones I love if I don’t return. Without this trust I am not able to perform my duty, I am not capable of focus. Knowing that my family is provided for enables me to seek the trust of my Soldiers and perform my job unhindered.
As an officer I need to set the ethical example despite being in or out of uniform, a unit is a reflection of its leaders; my soldiers are looking towards me for guidance and direction. As a leader and as a commander I always live and conduct myself by the “code”. This responsibility is great and I take it seriously, the soldier’s in my unit are somebody’s son, daughter or spouse. These individuals have put their trust in me, and ethics and trust work hand in hand.
Ethics on the battlefield is especially important, if compromised the result could be fatal or an embarrassment to the United States or Host Nation governments. As a former team leader of a Police Mentor Team in Afghanistan, my Soldiers needed to be disciplined in ethics. These professionals by conducting themselves as such are setting the example in theater and conducting counter insurgency by adhering to the principles set forth. Rules of engagement and battle drills are the two most important of these principles. Doing the right thing on the battlefield is a must, whether conducting a humanitarian drop or detainee operations, the media machine will be quick to make Soldiers famous or infamous.
It’s said that the United States of America is a superpower, but no superpowers are required to adhere to the professional military ethic, only a willingness to do what is right. I am proud to associate myself with a “brotherhood” of individuals held to a higher standard who truly know the meaning of honor and what it takes to be honorable.

"The views expressed in this Blog are those of the author and do not reflect any official policy or position of the Department of the Army, Department of Defense, or the U.S. Government."

No comments: