Friday, September 3, 2010

Why I Serve My Country

Captain Wayne A. Sanders
Student, Command and General Staff School
U.S. Army Combined Arms Center
Fort Belvoir, Virginia

"The views expressed in this "blog" are those of the author and do not reflect the official policy or position of the Department of the Army, Department of Defense, or the U.S. Government."


Whether serving as a police officer, fireman, public official, or a member of the Armed Forces, serving your country comes at a great price. You and your loved ones make sacrifices in order to pursue a life of service to this great nation. These sacrifices can take many forms, including time away from home, financial hardships, and risks to personal safety. For these reasons and others not mentioned, only select individuals choose this path. In fact, many people ask me why I have decided to dedicate my life to serving in the United States Army. My answer may be surprising. I serve my country as a member of the Army because I believe the Army to be an honorable organization that protects freedom and democracy. I also serve my country because I feel that service to your country is a vital part of active citizenship. And finally, I continue my service in the military because I want my children to live in a safer world than I have lived. I am blessed to be a citizen of the United States of America and I am honored that I can serve in its defense.

The United States is arguably the greatest nation that has ever graced the global stage. It is also the only current superpower in the world. Holding such a distinction comes with great risk. Many other countries view the United States as an aggressive capitalistic society that constantly pushes their values of freedom and democracy upon other nations. This potentially threatens regional stability throughout the world and makes the United States a logical target for attack. The United States Army and other services of the Armed Forces have been entrusted with the defense of the nation. I can think of no other time in our nation’s history where national security has been more paramount. Because of rogue nation states such as Iran, China, and North Korea, the Armed Forces must prepare for conventional warfare against these formidable potential adversaries. However, given the current security threat posed by non-state actors such as al-Qaeda, Hamas, and Hezbollah, the military must also prepare for irregular warfare against threats that do not acknowledge borders or rules of engagement. Therefore, as an intelligence professional, I choose to serve my country to counter both of these threats and protect freedom and democracy. If my analysis and intelligence collection skills can help keep Americans safe throughout the world, I will use them. I would rather be a player in the game of national defense than a spectator wondering who the players are.

Watching the news does not always guarantee that you are informed, nor does it afford you the opportunity to make a difference. I serve my country because I wish to make a positive difference. Many citizens of the United States watch the news and believe they have the answers to all of the country’s problems. However, all they ever do about it is rant to their neighbors or whoever will listen to them at the grocery store. Very few people actually choose to participate in the government process. I believe that serving the nation is a vital part of active citizenship. In order to understand the inner workings of an organization, you must actively become a part of it. If you believe that there are problems in the local legislature, stand up and be heard at city council meetings or volunteer to run a campaign. By actively participating in government, the general populace would better understand the constraints and limitations to domestic and foreign policy, and they would better understand the budgeting requirements to fund all the needed programs within a community. I serve my country because I want to actively participate in shaping the country’s future. Serving in the military may only afford me a small opportunity to do that, but I will gladly serve in that capacity.

As selfless as active participation in government may seem, one of the most selfish reasons that I serve my country involves my family’s future. I chose the Army as my method of public service because I want my children to grow up in a safer environment than my generation has. I do not want my children to worry about transnational drug smuggling rings, sex trafficking gangs, or terrorist organizations. I want my children to be able to grow up in a world free of these worries. Now, this may seem like a lofty and unrealistic pursuit. However, I believe that if more people volunteered to raise their right hand and promised to serve members of the Armed Forces, this dream may become a reality. National security requires resources, personnel, and time to develop. Since September 11, 2001, a multitude of great Americans have come forth to help defend the nation. However, the military still consists of less than one percent of the American people. Imagine what our national security forces would look like if the military consisted of even five percent. We could secure our borders more effectively from the influences of Mexican drug cartels. We could track underground terrorist sleeper cells currently operating within the United States more effectively. I believe that my children can grow up in a safer world. However, it all begins with brave Americans willing to dedicate their lives to the service to this country.

Every time I hear Lee Greenwood’s version of “Proud to Be an American,” I tear up with pride. Every time I see the Stars and Stripes, I stand up and pause at its greatness. Many great Americans have given their lives in service to the United States of America. I am glad that I can be counted among those who have served this democratic republic. I serve because I support the ideals of freedom and democracy. I serve because I want to make a difference as an active citizen. But I also serve because I want my family to be safe, living a better life than I have lived. I want my children to grow up free of the worries that have plagued my life since I was a child. I serve my country because there is nothing else that I would rather do. I am a patriot!

No comments: